- Featured Sponsored Online Engineering Programs & Short Courses:
- Vanderbilt UniversityM.Eng. in Engineering Management Online - Ranked in the top 15 globally. No GRE required.
- Purdue UniversityMS in Engineering Technology Online - 100% Online Master of Engineering Program
- MIT Sloan School of ManagementMIT Sloan Artificial Intelligence: Implications for Business Strategy online program - Develop an artificial intelligence integration plan online in 6 weeks, with MIT Sloan School of Management.MIT Sloan Machine Learning: Implementation in Business - Discover the opportunities for machine learning in business over 6 weeks online
- Harvard's VPALHarvard CRISPR: Gene-editing Applications online short course - Explore the applications and ethics of gene-editing in the Harvard VPAL CRISPR: Gene-editing Applications online short course.
- Syracuse University's College of Engineering and Computer Science offers an online M.S. in Computer Engineering, teaching students to create groundbreaking hardware and software solutions, can be completed in as few as 15 months, and has GRE waivers available. A Bachelor's degree is required.
Click here for admissions information.
Opportunity in Louisiana for Engineering Students
Since 2006, the number of graduates within the accredited Louisiana-engineering programs saw a decrease in its total student body. This creates more room for eager students with high expectations aimed at landing the right job who are also seeking to be competitively compensated for their efforts. Engineers, the world over, are modern-day thinkers who provide projected solutions that aide society and provide resolutions to some of the nation’s largest issues. These skilled personnel are also found within the state of Louisiana.
Making a decision about education will require an understanding of the potential career fields to be entered. For those considering the advantage of engineering, there will be numerous-job opportunities to choose from. These areas of study, that are then converted into financially rewarding, career paths, include: civil, computer, electrical and mechanical engineering. It is these that cover roughly 67 percent of the Bachelor’s degrees earned yearly for many engineering specialists.
Aerospace, biochemical, chemical and industrial/manufacturing engineering are additional fields that make up 20 percent of the degrees for student and educational specialties in the engineering field. The smaller group of engineering disciplines include: agricultural, architectural, metallurgical, mining, nuclear and petroleum engineering, of which all account for roughly 10 percent of the degrees granted yearly to engineering graduate and undergraduate students.
Louisiana Engineer Career Outlook
In 2010, Louisiana-state engineers earned a mean salary of $73,659, which showed as a 15 percent increase from the prior four years of data entry. Though the mean average was $73,000 a year, the highest paid engineers in the state saw yearly earnings peak at $93,114 respectively (according to ONET Online).
The industry for Louisiana and its engineers is making career accessibility possible for graduates with ready credentials and educational skills. On a broader average according to ONET and the BLS, Louisiana engineering professionals earn an average higher than related sectors of education and expertise.
Top Engineering Employers in Louisiana
Three top Louisiana companies using engineers are Ford, Bacon & Davis, TRECON and Exxon Mobil.
Ford, Bacon & Davis is an engineering, procurement and construction management company with four locations throughout Louisiana and one in South Carolina. The entire staff consists of more than 850 employees. They also offer specialized engineering services for industries such as manufacturing, chemical, refining, paper, manufacturing and renewable fuels. This firm has a staff full of multi-disciple engineers.
TRECON is a professional company that provides automation and controls systems engineering. Instrumentation engineers help customers choose the best controls system and will program, configure and install the system for the customer. TRECON also specializes networking control systems. TRECON’s electrical engineers assist with power controls, instrumentation, motor controls and panel design/fabrication. There are approximately 50 people employed at TRECON.
Exxon Mobil is a large international gas and oil company that refines and markets petroleum products globally. There are about 5,000 employees at the Baton Rouge location. Exxon is a technology-based company knowledgeable of deep water drilling, energy efficiency, seismic mapping, hydraulic fracturing, liquefied natural gas operations and various vehicle technologies. Each of these technologies is made easier at Exxon through the work of process, R&D and computer informatics engineers.
List of Accredited Engineering Programs
Engineering Degree GuideUse the following Engineering Degree Guide to find degrees in all different types of engineering, and to find engineering schools in every state in the U.S.
Engineering Degrees by Level
Computer Engineering Degrees
Electrical Engineering Degrees
Engineering Management Degrees
Mechanical Engineering Degrees
Civil & Bio Engineering Degrees
Online Engineering Degrees
Engineering Schools by State
The Top Engineering Degrees Online
- Bachelors in Engineering
- Masters in Engineering
- Engineering Management
- Computer Engineering
- - MSCE | Online MSCE
- Software Engineering
- Hardware Engineering
- Online Computer Engineering
- Online Software Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Engineering Technology
- Mechatronics Engineering