- Featured Sponsored Online Engineering Programs & Short Courses:
- Vanderbilt UniversityM.Eng. in Engineering Management Online - Ranked in the top 15 globally. No GRE required.
- Purdue UniversityMS in Engineering Technology Online - 100% Online Master of Engineering Program
- MIT Sloan School of ManagementMIT Sloan Artificial Intelligence: Implications for Business Strategy online program - Develop an artificial intelligence integration plan online in 6 weeks, with MIT Sloan School of Management.MIT Sloan Machine Learning: Implementation in Business - Discover the opportunities for machine learning in business over 6 weeks online
- Harvard's VPALHarvard CRISPR: Gene-editing Applications online short course - Explore the applications and ethics of gene-editing in the Harvard VPAL CRISPR: Gene-editing Applications online short course.
- Syracuse University's College of Engineering and Computer Science offers an online M.S. in Computer Engineering, teaching students to create groundbreaking hardware and software solutions, can be completed in as few as 15 months, and has GRE waivers available. A Bachelor's degree is required.
Click here for admissions information.
In general, candidates for an engineering project management degree or certificate must be in good academic standing with their department. In most instance, students are required to have a GPA of 3.0 or higher for related coursework. They must meet all the requirements for admission to upper division in the student’s major department.
Project Management vs. Engineering Management
Engineering management is a field of management that is focused on improving the management style of engineers. There are numerous engineering management degrees that can help you gain knowledge and skills necessary to excel in these roles. During the classes, students will learn to develop their industrial engineering skills, expertise, knowledge, and business and management techniques.
Project Management is more focused on managing the processes and people on a specific engineering project. For example, if an engineering firm is working on revamping part of a highway or interstate, they would need to work with multiple engineers: civil engineers, drafters, and possibly engineers that specialize in soil or sewer, depending on the location. The job of the PM (Project Manager) is to make sure all runs smoothly to complete the project on time.
Universities to Consider for Project Management for Engineering
Stanford University – Stanford University offers an advanced project management certification program. To enroll, students must already have three years of project management experience in the world. They must have effective team leadership skills and financial project management skills.
University of Virginia – According to U.S. News and World Report in 2011, University of Virginia was ranked the second best public school in the United States. They were also ranked number 25 when comparing the national colleges.
DePaul University – DePaul University is located in Chicago and is one of the best colleges for project management.
New York University – NYU Schack Institute of Real Estate offers a Certificate of Project Management that can be earned online or on campus.
North Carolina State University at Raleigh – Students in this program of study will learn more about team relationships, project risk management, and project scheduling and budgeting. These courses are also offered online.
Sample Project Management Courses
The coursework varies based on the university program that you’re enrolled in online or on campus. Certificate programs require significantly less time to complete than degree programs. Some of the most common classes include:
- Entrepreneurship and Economic Feasibility
- Project and Engineering Management
- Legal Issues Related to PE&M
- Financial Management of Tech Enterprises
- Management, Economics, and Accounting
- Pollution Prevention
- Technology for Energy Conversion
- Application and Design for Industrial Experiments
- Managerial Communication for Project Managers
- Technology for Renewable Energy
- Energy for Sustainability
- Indoor Environmental Management
- Engineering Economic Analysis
- Petroleum Project Evaluation
These are just a few classes that must be mastered in order to successfully practice in this field of study. Each university’s course offering will differ slightly, but the core concepts will be covered in all of the classes. Accreditation ensures that universities teach the same concepts to ensure students are prepared for the real world.
Top Project Management Concentrations
There are a number of concentrations associated with the field of project management. Engineering management is a common area of concentration associated with project management. With this field, students must master advanced project and personal management knowledge and skills. They must also manage engineering fields an engineering mathematics.
Other concentrations may include Chemical Engineering with Management, Mechanical Engineering and Business Management, and Mechanical Engineering and Business Management. There are other similar programs of study that can help students achieve proficiency in the field of management.
Business Administration with an engineering management option is another route to take to obtain the skills necessary to excel in this field. Many institutions will also offer dual-degree programs that will allow you to graduate with a degree in engineering and another one in management.
Project Management in Engineering – Career Choices
Degree holders will typically gain experience and apply it in the field of Engineering Project Management, Project Administrator, Senior Civil Engineer, Contracts Manager, Medical Procurement, and a variety of other career options. The route taken will depend on your specific skills and your level of expertise in a specific area.
Online Project Management Degrees
There are several accredited programs for online learning in program management for engineers. We have listed several below, but there are different types of online learning degrees that will help busy professionals prepare for a career in a demanding, yet rewarding field. If you want to learn more about this particular degree, you should contact the educational institutions online for more information. Their representatives can provide detailed information about enrollment, costs, and accreditation.
Engineering Degree GuideUse the following Engineering Degree Guide to find degrees in all different types of engineering, and to find engineering schools in every state in the U.S.
Engineering Degrees by Level
Computer Engineering Degrees
Electrical Engineering Degrees
Engineering Management Degrees
Mechanical Engineering Degrees
Civil & Bio Engineering Degrees
Online Engineering Degrees
Engineering Schools by State
The Top Engineering Degrees Online
- Bachelors in Engineering
- Masters in Engineering
- Engineering Management
- Computer Engineering
- - MSCE | Online MSCE
- Software Engineering
- Hardware Engineering
- Online Computer Engineering
- Online Software Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Engineering Technology
- Mechatronics Engineering