- Featured Sponsored Online Engineering Programs & Short Courses:
- Vanderbilt UniversityM.Eng. in Engineering Management Online - Ranked in the top 15 globally. No GRE required.
- Purdue UniversityMS in Engineering Technology Online - 100% Online Master of Engineering Program
- MIT Sloan School of ManagementMIT Sloan Artificial Intelligence: Implications for Business Strategy online program - Develop an artificial intelligence integration plan online in 6 weeks, with MIT Sloan School of Management.MIT Sloan Machine Learning: Implementation in Business - Discover the opportunities for machine learning in business over 6 weeks online
- Harvard's VPALHarvard CRISPR: Gene-editing Applications online short course - Explore the applications and ethics of gene-editing in the Harvard VPAL CRISPR: Gene-editing Applications online short course.
Not only that, but one of South Dakota’s engineering schools regularly ranks among the nation’s very best on U.S. News and World Report’s listing of the best graduate online engineering programs - The South Dakota School of Mines and Technology.
- Syracuse University's College of Engineering and Computer Science offers an online M.S. in Computer Engineering, teaching students to create groundbreaking hardware and software solutions, can be completed in as few as 15 months, and has GRE waivers available. A Bachelor's degree is required.
Click here for admissions information.
Engineering Schools in South Dakota to Consider
The South Dakota School of Mines and Technology and South Dakota State University both feature full engineering programs in many various specialties. Augustana College at Sioux Falls is unusual in offering a dual-degree engineering program from a liberal arts college. Through this program, students can receive both a B.A. from Augustana and a B.S. through concurrent engineering through enrollment with one of several top-tier affiliated schools from around the country.
The University of South Dakota offers a pre-engineering program, which allows students to spend their first two years at the University of South Dakota, completing core engineering courses from the departments of mathematics and earth sciences and the department of physics. After two years, they are typically qualified to transfer directly into the third year of a full engineering program at another school.
Engineering schools are scattered throughout South Dakota, though most are on the eastern edge of the state, relatively close to Sioux Falls. The one exception is the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, which is located in Rapid City.
The South Dakota School of Mines and Technology is also the only South Dakota-based engineering program that offers an online program. In fact, its online engineering degree program has been ranked as #1 in the nation, according to U.S. News and World Report.
Online Engineering Degree Options from SD Schools
The online degree is available for construction engineering and management, engineering management and mining engineering. Both South Dakota School of Mines and Technology and South Dakota State University offer full bachelor’s and master’s programs in various fields of engineering.
South Dakota Engineering School Spotlight
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
Bachelor’s programs include chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, geological engineering, industrial engineering, mechanical engineering, metallurgical engineering and mining engineering. Master’s programs are available in biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, civil and environmental engineering, construction engineering, electrical engineering, geological engineering, materials engineering, mechanical engineering and mining engineering.
South Dakota State University
Offers bachelor’s programs in agricultural & biosystems engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering. All of these programs are also offered at the graduate level, with some programs culminating in master’s degrees and others allowing study through the PhD level. In addition, minors are offered in engineering for precision agriculture, biomedical engineering and nuclear engineering.
Top Engineering Employers in South Dakota
One of the largest architectural and engineering firm in South Dakota is Architecture Incorporated.
Architecture Incorporated is an architectural firm that designs buildings and structures for the private and public sectors, whether it’s a church, school, skyscraper or government building. There are about 30 people employed at Architecture Incorporated and approximately one-third of them are architecture engineers knowledgeable of 3D printing and the latest virtual reality technologies. Children’s Museum of South Dakota, Hosanna Lutheran Church and MIT Trades Center are just a few of the projects designed by this company.
List of Accredited Engineering Programs
Engineering Degree GuideUse the following Engineering Degree Guide to find degrees in all different types of engineering, and to find engineering schools in every state in the U.S.
Engineering Degrees by Level
Computer Engineering Degrees
Electrical Engineering Degrees
Engineering Management Degrees
Mechanical Engineering Degrees
Civil & Bio Engineering Degrees
Online Engineering Degrees
Engineering Schools by State
The Top Engineering Degrees Online
- Bachelors in Engineering
- Masters in Engineering
- Engineering Management
- Computer Engineering
- - MSCE | Online MSCE
- Software Engineering
- Hardware Engineering
- Online Computer Engineering
- Online Software Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Engineering Technology
- Mechatronics Engineering